Literature review? Good sources? Reading materials? Best references? Citations??
The best references are come from the good materials which considered as academic sources as well as highly cited paper(?). Tips for getting the good sources for your paper will be shared in the next article. Indeed, citation is very important to researcher. We must know the significance of writing and citations. Even we have a very good writing skills but the citations are very bad, it will not help us to get the great mark. Remember, if we do not cite any sources, our supervisor will consider our writing are doing PLAGIARISM. So how? Do citation!
Today, I would like to share with all of you on tips for citing with the best way.
- First, please ask the advise from your supervisor which citation styles that he/she prefers. If your university has the standard citation style, you may refer to postgradute center (or whatever they called).
- You should know the details of your citation style. The most commonly used citation styles are:
- APA (American Psychological Association)
- Harvard Style
- MLA (Modern Language Association)
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- Always refer to the guideline on your chosen citation style to ensure the criteria and requirement.
- For example: APA – https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
- You must understand and differentiate between in-text citation and list of references. In-text citation is any idea or quote that you refer in between of text in your writing. However, list of references or some scholars called “bibliography” is the list with the standard format that linked to the in-text citation. This list always we locate at the end of pages. If you have the in-text citation, means you must have the standard citation in your list of references.
- When quoting, you must determine that you want to paraphrase or quote another author’s work? Paraphrase means that you refer to another author’s idea, then you create your own words in the writing and quote another author’s work, you quote directly without any changes.
- Is there any limitation of number of citations? The answer is NO. But, make it significant of any idea that you want to throw out in your writing.
So where are you now? Still in the beginning of your writing or it’s like at the end? Have you doing the citation? So, please be smart with your citation. The citation will help you to have a properly writing and proves what you refer and know.
One more tip, did you know some of our examiners like to look your list of references before they read your paper? Hehehe..
MOHD IKHWAN ISMAIL
Hamzah Sendut Library
Universiti Sains Malaysia
Tel: 6317@ 04-6536317
On 26th April 2017 (Wednesday ) , we received a special request from lecturers of IPG Sultan Abdul Halim for organizing the training of “Information Literacy Skills (Advanced)“. About 19 lecturers were participated in this training.
This successful training had been held at Computer Lab, Perpustakaan Hamzah Sendut.
Thank you very much to all participants for making the training a success!!